Friday, September 5, 2008

Kay Unger New York!

Last week I was invited by Grace Hanlon and Yvonne Moss to take photos during a video shoot with Kay Unger herself in the fashion district of NYC. Um, is that a girl's dream come true or what!?!?!

I can't even describe how amazing it was to be there in the showroom while buyers from Macy's and Bloomingdales were there, to be in the back workroom while designers were sketching and seamstresses were carefully pinning and sewing every unique seam, and to be in the presence of so many AMAZING Kay Unger New York and Phoebe Couture dresses that hadn't even hit the stores yet! Some of the fabric prints are actually hand-painted designs by Kay herself which are made into fabric. Others are stitching, cutting and designing textures by hand with strips of fabric to see how they lay on mannequins. That just screams the type of passion she has about her art, doesn't it?

Needless to say I snapped away at every detail I could find and when I wasn't doing that I was sitting in for Kay Unger while Grace and videographer Jeff Buccellato dressed the set. Needless to say it looks like my attention is most definitely on the Spring '09 collection around me, particularly that yellow dress behind me! Thanks for the sneaky pictures Yvonne! :-)



This was really a great experience and what made it even more awesome was meeting Kay and her staff, some of which you'll see in below. Enjoy!!

Vj


5 comments:

  1. Dear Vanessa,
    I came across this through my google alerts, this is so unbelievable. No one has ever captured the spirit of our company like this before now. I wanted to thank you so much for your kind words and tell you how beautiful I think these pictures are. The slide show is amazingly inspirational and makes me want to work even harder.

    Thank you again for your hard work and support.

    Kay Unger

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank so much for stopping by Kay!

    I'm so glad you liked the show, I really had an awesome time with all of you last week so it was an absolute joy to capture the essence that was so clearly already there!

    Vanessa

    September

    ReplyDelete
  4. While searching for photographers for my daughters wedding how surprised I was to see the woman who made my dress for the wedding. I've worn Kay Unger for years and love the compliments that I get from everyone who sees me. It was a simple choice for one of the MOST special days in my life. The pictures you took really showed how special a person Kay Unger is and how she has really assembled a beautiful staff around her. Thank you!!
    Marsha, Greenwich, Connecticut

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marsha,

    That really is such a great compliment! My whole goal in photography is to do exactly that, capture the beauty of the person so that others, especially friends and family, can really see the persona of the person in their pictures.

    Thanks again!

    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete