Thursday, March 4, 2010

I promise not to be these girls either!

I have to admit, that while I agree with the Judge Joe Brown in the fact that the pictures were not professional...the bride really should have gotten a little hint by it costing so little. $1,200 package = the photographer can't afford to buy the best equipment which = bad photography. But really, shooting with a rebel??? And she didn't even KNOW how fast her lenses were?? Good grief!



What is really stinky in all of this is the fact that they were able to pass themselves off as professionals who use better equipment. In reality, most brides don't understand photography equipment, so how can brides know if what a photographer is using is up to par? Maybe some of those bridal books with questions to ask their photographers have some good points in there. So, here's a little list of questions to ask (and the right answers) that will hopefully help some of you brides avoid this catastrophe!

How many megapixels does your camera produce?
The answer should be 10 or more (preferably 15 or more...mine produces 24)

Do you have 2.8 lenses?
The answer should be yes.

Do you have lenses FASTER than 2.8?
Again, hopefully yes, although I suppose it's not totally necessary.

What type of camera do you use?
Now, although you probably won't know exactly what they mean when they say Canon 5d Mark ii or whatever, write down what they say and just do a google search on it to find out the price and read a couple of reviews. It won't be hard to notice that a Canon Rebel which is not even an $800 camera is probably not professional equipment.

How do you educate yourself in photography?
Now with this, you may not get an honest answer because they could always just say yes and rattle off some association names...but you can at least read them and see if they have a passion for learning about their craft. If they're not educating themselves, then they're probably not up to date on the latest technology and whatnot.

Where do you print your pictures?
I have to say, even though I don't do it, I know some people that do their proofs at Costco and to be honest, the quality is perfectly fine and on professional paper (btw - FUGI paper is professional...not the best in my opinion, but it's what's printed on the paper that really makes the difference). However, ask them if they print their enlargements at a professional lab or, because some do this in house which is also fine, on a professional printer (again, you could ask the model name and google it to rate it).

Ask to see proofs from a whole wedding.
This will really help you out because it'll show you what the quality is across the board, and not just the favorites and best images from a photographer. Keep in mind, however, that proofs are not meant to be a final product so under normal circumstances, they're not going to be effected or retouched. Just take a look at them to look at the quality of the images in different, and especially in low lighting, scenarios (Judge Joe Brown had no idea what he was talking about as far as thinking all churches allow flash...that is so far from the truth), and make sure that the overall style of the photography is consistent with what you're looking for. If you want photojournalism and notice that 50% of the images are traditionally posed, you'll probably want to move on.


I hope I didn't make any photographers mad at me for this! My goal is definitely to help brides out in their search for a photographer. I can imagine how difficult it must be to try and educate yourself on something that you don't know about enough to make sure that your memories of your wedding are captured beautifully; it must be quite stressful!

7 comments:

  1. A little put off by this (not mad though)...a good photographer can take great images with toy cameras, polaroids, etc. It's not the equipment that takes a great picture, it's the photographer that takes a great picture. As long as they know how to use their tools, they should be fine. WAY too many photographers rely on 'fast' lenses and large megapixel counts to cover for their own inadequacies. Digital Photography is dooming the actual art and craft of picture taking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anonymous (don't be afraid to write your name next time!),

    I completely agree with you on BOTH points. Your first point actually reminds me of a photographer I learned about in my history of photography class in college who did nothing but take pictures with disposable cameras and usually shot from his hip! He ended up with some really great stuff! But for wedding photography, without a flash, he, not any other photographer, wasn't going to end up with great stuff inside a dark church, which I think was this bride's biggest complaint.

    Knowing how to use your tools is HUGE, so another good point there. I laughed out loud when Judge Joe Brown as the woman how fast her lens was and she said she didn't know! I was shocked!

    And you're right, there's the other extreme where people think expensive equipment makes you a great photographer, or, more towards your digital comment, the thought of just "fixing" it in post-processing is not necessarily good photography either (good photo illustration possibly). That actually reminds me of a competition photo I saw once that was a photo-illustration that, from what I heard, the photographer did to make a point that he could take a crappy picture of his son's bedsheets and turn it into an award-winning masterpiece; and he did just that!

    But don't fret, I don't think digital photography is "dooming" the art...just making it a little bit easier to tweak, which let's be honest, has saved us all at one point or another!

    Thanks for posting!

    ~Vj

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Anonymous,
    While a photographer may be able to "take great images with toy cameras, polaroids, etc." it remains debatable if those said photos are worthy of monies paid. I recently went through this myself. I had a Canon 30D and when I compaired my photos to that taken with one that much higher megapixels, my images showed major lack. I upgraded to a Canon 7d and my images are much sharper than before. Would have bought the 5d but couldn't afford it yet. Even though people were requesting me to shoot images for them based on my images, I knew they were not worth money as they were. Using the same lenses, my images are clearly better. My favorite being an 85mm 1.8 (since I can't yet afford the 1.2) The depth of field can't be matched with hobbyist equipment.
    You just can't get great shots without a flash in a low light setting, no matter HOW good you are!
    Just compare the ISO of these two cameras and tell me that you can't get much better shots in the dark with the 7d. Its a fact and really can't be debated. Equipment MATTERS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yvonne...you're missing the point (and perhaps enforcing mine), and you lead me to believe you fall in the category of those relying too much on their equipment. A sharp image does not make a great picture, nor does one with great DOF. There are PLENTY of talented photographers that have made a killing off of providing blurry, incorrectly exposed, 'crappy' images...sometimes using the 'professional' equipment you speak of. Clients will gladly pay for an aesthetic that is not readily achievable through digital (the reason why film has become a premium, and Lomography is making a strong comeback).

    One of my favotire photographers, Edward Olive, while although uses fast lenses often, almost never uses a flash, shoots grainy, poorly focused shots, and his wedding work I think is quite outstanding.

    fyi - my first photos ever published [in The Knot] and paid for were taken with a 7 megapixel panasonic point and shoot. My first wedding, which essentially launched my photography career, was taken with 1 Canon 20D, a 17-85 f/4, and a Canon 430EX. My point being, I think I knew how to use what I had pretty well...the equipment, the available lighting, the way I composed shots, and my ability to have people trust me, relax, and open up.

    Now I don't want to be a complete hypocrite...I now use Canon 5Ds and have a lineup of quality lenses. But it's the way I take pictures that sets me apart from you, or Vanessa, or anyone else with a large equipment budget. But I am also confident enough and believe I am quite capable of presenting VERY quality work using a Canon Rebel and 1 or 2 choice lenses.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just to clarify... I LOVE blurry work. I blur photos on purpose when I feel it's called for. I commend you for getting your work published. I wish I could actually view your work. I do believe that you STILL don't get what I'm saying. How is it now possible to take pics that lets just say... show a mood in a dimly lit bar where the singer is sitting under a red light and you don't want to flash as that will ruin the mood when your ISO doesn't go as high as 6400 plus and you don't want lots of noise in the photo? Not really possible UNLESS you have great glass on the not so great body. Then you might have a shot of getting something good. But a good body and decent glass make for better shots in a dark bar. Hey, I'm going to the Saint in Asbury Park, NJ. to see David Ford play. Great musican! If your close, come on out, but leave your 5D at home. Bring that point and shoot and lets compare!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Answer(s) to your mood question - get a tri/monopod (or a sturdy table) - Work on having a steady hand - bounce your flash off unusual places - introduce blur or grain (or both) and make it work for you - shoot film (noise is a function of digital, and is frowned upon. Grain is a function of film, and is often coveted)

    What we're debating here is subjective...perhaps my idea of a good picture is different from yours. It's easier to get certain looks with fast lenses and high ISO's, but that only makes 'great' more commonplace and ordinary, once again, achievable by anyone with a 5D or 7D, or a 85 1.2. And with today's ISO and pricing wars, anyone will be able to take a dimly lit shot. Part of the art of picture taking is the process you used to capture your image...where's the art in setting your ISO to 102,400 with a 1.4 lens attached and pressing the shutter?

    I'd love to catch some good music, but I'm nowhere near Asbury Park. But be sure to take some great pictures ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think anyone who hides behind "anonymous" is not proud of the work they can show to back-up their statements.

    Let's see what what you are talking about.

    The REAL "Anonymous"

    ReplyDelete